Customised gantry robots
For handling tasks across large areas we can add a third axis to our line gantries or implement customised solutions tailored fully to the customer’s requirements. Numerous options e.g. rotary axes or several slides on one axis, complement our portfolio. Extensive interfaces for actuators and sensor systems permit the use of a wide range of grippers and end effectors.
Applications gantry robots
Stacking of cut blanks
- Stacking cut blanks and flat formed parts starting in an undefined position precisely on pallets and in load carriers
The Strothmann solution
- Expanding a linear gantry SRLSM 2/040 to create an area gantry
- Additional rotary axis and vacuum gripper
- Position detection by integrated vision system
- Uninterrupted container change by integrated RoundTrack system and carriage with lifting function
- Intelligent process sequence with double pick function for optimised cycle times
Material handling in measuring cell
- Handling of heavy glass lenses in an air-conditioned measuring chamber and loading and unloading of a measuring unit with minimal heat introduction into the working area
The Strothmann solution
- Customised area gantry
- Minimal heat introduction thanks to stationary drives outside of the measuring chamber for all axes
- Vertical axis drive using torsion shaft
- Maximum repeat accuracy ±0.2 mm
- Component tracking by RFID
- Material feeding and discharge via linear shuttle
FAQ: Frequently asked questions about line portals or portal robots
Area gantries or gantry robots offer a variety of user benefits in different areas:
Large-area machining: area gantries enable the machining of large workpieces or materials because they have a larger work area. This is especially useful in woodworking, metalworking or cutting sheet materials such as plastics or aluminum.
High precision: Surface gantries provide precise movement and positioning along a surface. This enables accurate machining of workpieces and the achievement of high quality standards. Examples include precision engraving, laser cutting or surface finishing.
Flexibility in workpiece positioning: Surface gantries offer flexibility in positioning workpieces. They can move, rotate or tilt workpieces along the surface for optimal machining or assembly. This is especially beneficial for complex workflows or machining multi-sided workpieces.
Scalability: Area gantries can be scaled according to requirements. They can be adapted to the specific requirements of a use case, be it a smaller work surface for compact applications or a larger surface for more extensive projects.
Area gantries are used in various applications:
Automotive: Area gantries are used in the automotive industry for various applications, such as body assembly, machining of vehicle parts or painting of large areas.
Aerospace: Area gantries are used in the aerospace industry, for example for machining aircraft parts, precision drilling of components or manufacturing large structures such as aircraft wings.
Woodworking: In the woodworking industry, planar surface gantries are used in the manufacture of furniture, doors, windows and other wood products. They enable the milling, cutting and engraving of large wood panels or boards.
Metalworking: Area gantries are also used in metalworking, for example for the precise machining of metal plates or sheets, laser cutting of metal components or welding of large metal structures.
Packaging industry: In the packaging industry, planar surface gantries are used for processing packaging materials such as cardboard boxes or plastic sheets. They enable precise folding, cutting or labeling of packaging along a surface.